Katie Pearson is a partner in the firm’s Cayman office and an experienced Cayman litigator. She achieves excellent results for clients in high-value and high-profile international commercial litigation, insolvency and restructuring.
Katie has particular expertise in shareholder disputes (including share valuation disputes), hedge fund disputes, fraud and asset recovery (including urgent applications for emergency relief such as freezing injunctions and disclosure orders, and the appointment of receivers and liquidators), contractual disputes and trusts litigation.
She also frequently provides support for litigation and arbitration proceedings overseas, including seeking interim relief from the Cayman court in support of proceedings overseas, and enforcing foreign judgments and arbitral awards in the Cayman Islands.
Katie regularly advises liquidators and stakeholders on liquidation and restructuring issues, including seeking Cayman Islands court assistance for foreign insolvency proceedings.
She is an experienced advocate and frequently appears before the courts of the Cayman Islands.
Katie moved to the Cayman Islands in 2009 and practised in the Litigation and Insolvency department of another offshore firm for several years before joining us in 2016. She began her legal career in London where she trained at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and practised at leading fraud litigation firm, Peter & Peters.
Current and recent cases include:
- Acting for two of the world’s biggest producers and suppliers of solar panels on separate share valuation proceedings;
- Applying for injunctive relief in the Cayman Islands on behalf of Oi S.A., in judicial reorganization (a debtor-in-possession restructuring, equivalent to Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US) in Brazil;
- Successfully petitioning for the winding up of Cayman companies, on both the just and equitable and insolvent grounds.
Katie is recognised as a “next generation partner” in the Cayman Islands Dispute Resolution rankings.Legal 500, 2020
- England and Wales (not practising)
- Cayman Islands
- BPP Law School (LPC)
- City University (Postgraduate Diploma in Law)
- University of Oxford (MA)